Create Your Story- Bookmaking
Each of us has a story to tell, whether it’s the tribulations and celebrations of our past, reflecting on our present, or the hopes and dreams for our future. Creating your story through art making offers opportunities for self expression and self exploration. Through lines, shapes, colors and images, we will explore visual journaling. You will be creating your own handmade book/journal and explore new techniques for visual journaling within the book you have created. Each week optional directives will inspire you to visually journal and offer the opportunity to share and connect with others about common themes we all share in our lives.
This four week art workshop focuses on personal strengths as we explore complex thoughts and emotions. Visual journaling can be done for enjoyment, self exploration, and positive coping.
- Cardboard cut to size 8.5 x 11 inches in half or (2) pieces 4.25×5.5 inches
- This will be used for the cover of the book – you can use cardboard from an old cereal box, cardstock, the back of a notebook, or 2-3 sheets of paper glued together to create one heavier sheet of paper
- Paper cut to same size – white blank paper
- This paper will be the interior pages of your journal. Thickness and color can vary
- Collage materials- These materials are optional and will be discussed in the first session.
- magazine images and words
- Ribbon, lace, fabric scraps
- liquid glue
- glue stick
- various colors and textures of paper
- Buttons or gems
- Scissors – used to cut collage materials and cut holes in paper if you don’t have a hole puncher
- Pencils –
- This will be used to bind your journal together. You could also use yarn, shoelace, a thin strip of fabric, etc.
- Hole puncher
- This will be used to punch holes in the cover and the paper and then lace the ribbon through. If you do not have a hole puncher, you can cut holes using scissors